Monday, November 27, 2006

Episode 23 Notes: Proper Hand Washing

TRENT:
I figured it might be helpful to include this information from the show. Derek did the research, and if I think it's overly important, I'll put the reference to where the info came from. Until then, I think it was the CDC.

Anyone care about taking this stuff to heart?



Proper hand-washing

1. Use warm or hot water when possible. Cold water is not as effective for killing
    bacteria on your hands.

2. Wet your hands and wrists completely under the running water.

3. Apply a small dab of liquid soap. If you use bar soap, you rinse it off before you
    use it.

4. Work up a good lather and wash all of the surfaces of your skin, including the
    wrist, palms, backs of your hands, fingers, and fingernails.
    Wash your hands for at least 15 to 20 seconds.

5. Rinse your hands thoroughly.

6. Dry your hands. Use your paper towel to turn off the water after you have
    finished.

If soap and water are not available, use gel hand sanitizers or alcohol-based hand wipes. Most supermarkets and drugstores carry these products. Carry one or both with you when you travel, and keep them in your car or purse.

If using the gel sanitizer, rub your hands until the gel is dry. You don't need to use water; the alcohol in the gel kills the germs on your hands.

2 comments:

VillageIdiot said...

Am I the only one that doesn't like the idea of only using hand sanitizer? I mean, I'm all for using the stuff, but for some reason I like for people to wash their hands, too. Especially coming out of the bathroom.

For example, say you are working in the garden all afternoon. Your hands are all dirty and while you can knock off much of the dirt, there's still the stuff under your nails and the dirt that won't come off unless you wash your hands.

You simply use the sanitizer instead. It doesn't get rid of the dirt, but the dirt is now "clean". How much better do you feel?

The MannersCast said...

I tend to agree! I think there should be a reasonable hand washing every so often any way.

Although, I do like my dirt to be as clean as possible.